CBSA encourages Wallenda spectators to cross into Canada early
Southern Ontario Region, June 11, 2012 - The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) encourages spectators planning to cross into Canada for the Wallenda wire walk on June 15 to plan ahead, and cross early to allow for extra travel time. The Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls, including the pedestrian walkway, is expected to be very busy that day due to its proximity to the event.
"Travellers are encouraged to monitor traffic conditions and consider using the other border crossings in the area such as the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge and the NEXUS-only Whirlpool Bridge as well as the Peace Bridge," said Rick Comerford, Regional Director General, CBSA Southern Ontario Region. "We will make every effort to manage these larger traffic volumes while ensuring safety and security at the border."
Spectators can plan ahead by following these travel tips:
- Cross early morning or early afternoon on June 15 to allow enough time for your border clearance.
- Cross at the least busy border crossing in the area by checking border wait times on the CBSA Web site, on your Web-enabled mobile device at www.wap.gc.ca or follow us on Twitter for hourly border wait time updates at BWT_CBSA.
- If delays are reported at the Rainbow Bridge, consider rerouting to the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge via the Robert Moses State Parkway to I-190.
- NEXUS members can cross at the NEXUS-only Whirlpool Bridge located less than 2 km from the Rainbow Bridge. The Whirlpool Bridge will be open extended hours on June 15 from 7 a.m. – 2 a.m. NEXUS lanes are also available for travellers entering Canada at the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge and Peace Bridge, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Consider crossing at the Peace Bridge in Fort Erie as an alternate to the busier Niagara crossings.
- Ensure that you have proper identification for everyone in the vehicle readily available when you arrive at the border. Acceptable forms of identification for entry into both the United States and Canada include a passport, U.S. passport card, a NEXUS card and an enhanced driver's licence.
Further information on these tips and more can be found on our Web site.
NEXUS members: Enter Canada faster at the Whirlpool Bridge
Canada Border Services Agency
Southern Ontario Region
Telephone: 905-354-2011 or 519-967-4330
Follow us on Twitter (@CanBorder), join us on Facebook or visit our YouTube channel.